Tuesday, January 6, 2009

MYSAPL review

Happy New Year! In honor of the new year and sapl's new Web site, Mom has asked me to review it. Now I don't want any of you to think I am being unduly harsh or critical, I just want to put in my two cents so don't take it personally especially because I don't even exactly know who designed the site and having only left the house to go to the dreaded vets office, I've never even met any of the responsible parties.

First let me say I do like the clean format of the Web site in general and the use of a color scheme in particular.

My biggest and perhaps the most obvious problem I can see with the site is the search box. "Find Things" it says. What does this mean? What things? Any things? And where? The site, the internet, my house? "Find Things" seems, like Sarah Palin, unnecessarily folksy and unclear. Upon further investigation "find things" actually means "search the SAPL catalog" so say this or at least "search catalog". This way people know what they are searching and won't look for that missing sock there. But I do like that the search option is on every page of the site.

I do like the flash box but hopefully users will be able to click on the flashing pictures and be taken to the site it is advertising. Please fix the monomouse graphic to spell "television" correctly.

Personally I think the locations button on the top should be a drop down menu, but that's just me.

The teen blog is a little on the unprofessional side. There's a hand drawn picture with uncensored content. Now I like naughty words as much as the next cat, but I don't think it has a place on a Web site for the 8th largest city in the U.S.

I guess overall it is a good start, but I would like to see the site get more professional overall. The writing is somewhat wordy and vague. For instance: "The San Antonio Public Library is pleased to present a new website! Now it is even easier to find library material, see what you've got checked out on your library account and find out what's going on at your local library location." MIGHT be better as: "Welcome to our new Web site! Now it is even easier to find material, check your library account and see what's happening at your branch." But, I'm probably just splitting hairs from seeing Mom pour over her AP Style Book while writing for the newspaper. I have some more picky editorial issues, but I'll leave it right there.

On the whole, good job! I just say, keep the site dynamic and interesting. Update, update, update! The beauty of the Web is content can be kept fresh.

Time for my nap and then I will look into finishing the 23 things. I sure want a prize for all this work!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The hand-drawn comic is from my own personal favorite comic (I say that about several, but really this one's it) xkcd at http://xkcd.com/.

I have to say I agree about the "Search Things" box. I think eventually they hope to make it a box that searches both the catalog as well as the databases. However, even then, "Search Books and Articles" would work better.

Good review. Perhaps they'll find it helpful once they catch their breath. :)

Lily said...

Well, now Didi I didn't say I didn't LIKE the comic, I actually do. It's just that Mom's manager wouldn't let her post "Win a big ass candy bar" on the teen myspace page when she had a Guitar Hero competition, because of the word "ass" so I thought maybe they shouldn't post the extended version of the word on the library's page.

I totally respect the hard work that has gone into the new site. I watched Mom pull out many hairs (and you humans don't have all that many in the first place) while working on Web redesigns at her old job.

I really am glad you post comments for me. It's nice to hear from my followers!

taxicab said...

If my behavior is any predictor of patron behavior, The RSS feed feature should generate a lot of holds. It's so easy to just browse through what appeals to me in new (or just newly ordered) materials and just put it on hold right there. The only drawback is the 20 holds limit. I think an exception should be made for things that are only on order. I used my limit mainl on stuff that may not be here for weeks.

Unknown said...

Check it out, they've made some changes in the past few days. Looks great :)